CPS Camp Number 034
Technical Agency: Fish & Wildlife
CPS Camp No. 34, a Fish and Wildlife base camp located in Bowie, Maryland operated as a special project with both the Departments of Agriculture and Interior on the Patuxent Wildlife Refuge. Jointly administered by the Brethren Service Committee, the American Friends Service Committee and the Mennonite Central Committee, the camp opened in June 1942. The Brethren assumed leadership of the camp in 1945. Men performed wildlife experiments and studies as well as maintained the refuge and forest.
CPS Camp No. 34, Detached Service, also carried on its roster those men who engaged in detached service with the National Service Board of Religious Objectors, the American Friends Service Committee, the Brethren Service Committee, Mennonite Central Committee and a few other agencies, working on special CPS projects or tasks, or on relief efforts. This website has created subunits of CPS Camp No. 34 identified by the type of work done, with which agencies or projects, and in some cases where that work occurred.