CPS Camp Number 027
Technical Agency: Public Health Service
CPS Camp No. 27 consisted of multiple units in Okaloosa, Walton and Santa Rosa counties in northern Florida. This first Public Health Service CPS camp developed in response to assignee desires to address human needs. In this case the men worked in the “hookworm belt” of the South, since the disease can be controlled and eliminated through simple medical and sanitary measures when coupled with effective education. The camp opened in March 1942 with overall administration by the Brethren while Mennonites and Friends shared in the project. Dan West of the Brethren Service Committee and Henry Fast of the Mennonite Central Committee worked with the Florida State Board of Health to start the projects. The camp and its subunits closed in 1946.