"Bishop Ends 44 Days"

"Bishop Ends 44 Days"

“Bishop Ends 44 Days"

Sunday evening, August 9, closed one more chapter in the experiences of Corbett Bishop, of CPS 3, Baltimore, Md. Now a tall, thin, bearded figure with strained features and penetrating eyes, this former southerner, student, chemist, air-corps member and book-store proprietor ended his 44 day fast when he was taken by the camp director, nurse, and his grieved mother and sister to St. Agnes Hospital in Baltimore, for gradual feeding and rebuilding.”

The physical endurance of the man was something that amazed not only his intimates, but the camp officials and doctor as well. Bishop worked in the kitchen for the first three weeks of his fast, and then was admitted to the infirmary or listed as sick in quarters for the following two weeks. But there was no collapse, nor was he confined to his bed at any time.

On Monday, August 3, Bishop reported for the work crew by order of Selective Service. Corbett was able to do a limited amount of work with considerable strain and recurring fatigue until Friday, August 7, he was sent back to camp by the crew leader as being unfit for work. Sunday night he was finally persuaded to end his hunger strike, which had lasted over six weeks. Despite the physical strain, Bishop consistently emphasized the mental and spiritual struggle as the worst part of the siege.

Bishop’s mental and physical struggle arose from a deep conviction about the injustice of the draft and conscript labor set-up. Besides his demand for a 60-90 day furlough, Corbett considered his hunger strike a protest directed against the inhumanity of the present CPS administration.

Sunday’s move provided a release for the confused administration and somewhat agonized fellow campers, but it provided no permanent solution for Bishop. He left the camp saddened and sobered, more distrustful of the "Christians" who had been unable to help him, and more disillusioned concerning the world in general.

Showing amazing recuperative powers Bishop is well on the road to good health again and expects to return to Patapsco soon.


--Taken from The Patapsco Peacemaker. Vol. II, no. 19. August 13, 1942. p1, 5.