CPS Unit No. 145, a Training School unit planned by Mennonite Central Committee for Wassiac, New York was suspended before opening.
Selective Service authorized a second training school CPS unit on March 6, 1945 to be located at the Wassaic State School in Duchess County, New York and operated by Mennonite Central Committee (MCC). Robert Kreider of MCC visited the site on March 12, 1945.
Pressure from the Civil Service Association and union leaders coupled with the need for available men to fight fires in the West, kept the unit in permanent suspension. Union leaders threatened that they would not allow COs to use the canteen and that regular employees had no intention to sit “at adjacent tables nor eat from the same dishes”. (Robinson, pp. 201-202)
Wassaic, New York, United States
Mitchell L. Robinson, “Men of Peace in a World at War: Civilian Public Service in New York State, 1941-1946”. New York History 78:2 (April 1997): 174-210.